Science Fair: Judge Information
Each year, students from 26 elementary schools, 10 intermediate schools and 6 high schools in Clear Creek ISD work diligently to complete an independent research topic of their own choosing. They then compete at their individual school for the opportunity to advance to the CCISD District Science Fair. Projects from approximately 800 students are then evaluated by teams of judges to be selected as Grand Award winners or place winners. Junior, Ninth and Senior division winners are eligible to advance to the Science Engineering Fair of Houston, and then to state and international competitions.
To properly evaluate this huge number of projects and to provide effective feedback to students, approximately 200 judges are required. Professionals in the community are called upon to spend an afternoon examining the projects, interviewing the students (secondary division only) and collaborating with their fellow judges to determine the place winners in each category. Many of our judges have participated for years, and consider this to be an opportunity to reach out and support the scientists of tomorrow.
To sign up to be a science fair judge, please complete the online judges’ form. All volunteers to serve are accepted so please record the fair date on your calendar. If you have a child competing, you will be asked to judge a category other than the one your child is competing in. If you have questions or difficulty registering, please call (281-284-0089) or email Terri Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org). We hope you will join us on Jan. 14 as a CCISD District Science Fair judge!
First Time Secondary Judges
THANK YOU for volunteering to support the students in Clear Creek ISD by becoming a district science fair judge!
I think you will find it to be a very exciting experience! To make your experience a smooth one, below is information that you might find helpful.
- Please be sure to register! Most contacts, including a reminder of the fair the week before, will be sent by e-mail.
- All activities begin at Bayside Intermediate School. Directions from various locations are included on the main science fair home page.
- Carpool if at all possible. We do not anticipate parking problems this year but since we are at a new facility, it is difficult to say for sure.
- Secondary judges, an optional judges training meeting will be held at Bayside Intermediate School on the day of the fair, January 14rd, at 11:00 (prior to the 12:00 start time for returning judges). Suggestions and protocol with students will be discussed.
- Judging criteria and forms are attached. They will be in your judges’ folder when you check in but you may want to look them over ahead of time.
- During lunch, secondary judges will discuss procedures for the afternoon. Secondary judges, you will meet and eat with the lead judge for your category that will assign projects and discuss topics specific to your judging category.
- If you have additional questions, contact Terri Berry, CCISD Science Coordinator, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 281-284-0089.
- Have a great time!! Enjoy the students and the science!